Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Poached Salmon, Asparagus & Tomatoes

On this first day of February it felt like Mother Nature thought it was April.  The temperature reached all kinds of crazy records.  I noticed while out and about in town what a pleasant mood everyone was in.  People smiling and being cordial to one another instead of honking and fighting over parking spots.  Kindness doesn't cost a thing, but it's value is priceless.

Since I started writing this blog, my twitter friends are always asking "what's for dinner tonight?"  I laugh, because at 8 in the morning while sipping my first cup of coffee "what's for dinner" is usually the last thing on my mind.  Today though my mind was consumed with a friend in trouble.  She's a lovely lady I met on twitter and am so thankful to social networking for bringing us together.  She's a beautiful, smart, strong, funny and knowledgeable lady with a huge heart that I admire so.  I love and care  about you my sweet friend and will always be here for you.  Stay positive!  I look forward to the day we get to meet in person. 

This morning the repairman was here checking on my ice machine that is not working.  The bad news is the ice machine needs to be replaced.  Replacing any part on a new appliance makes no sense whatsoever.  The good news is the company is replacing the refrigerator.  Problem solved.

Now ... what to have for dinner? 

      Poached Salmon, Asparagus & Tomatoes


ingredients:
1 piece of fresh salmon
asparagus
heirloom tomatoes
shallot, thinly sliced
1 piece of dill
lemon
kosher salt and pepper
chardonnay






directions:
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.  In a roasting pan place your salmon in the middle with the asparagus and tomatoes around.  Salt and pepper.  Place a piece of dill on top of the salmon. If you're not a fan of dill, leave it out.  You can always substitute with Italian parsley or nothing at all.  Add as much or as little shallots as you like to the top of the fish.  Add Chardonnay to cover about a third of the salmon.  Juice half of a lemon and you're ready for the oven.


Cover and cook for 20-30 minutes depending on the amount of fish. 


A fish spatula is a must!  Once you own one, it will be on your list of favorite kitchen tools.


Enjoy and Bon Appetit!


Live ~ Love ~ Laugh and always think Positive!

** the secret ingredient is lots of love ღ





7 comments:

  1. Love it and love the friend you speak of. Love the blog as it is easy on the eyes, great recipes, and a little piece of your heart every time. It is I who is blessed to have met you through Twitter and hope to meet one day in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dina. I look forward to meeting you too. Oh the fun we will have! ღ

      Delete
  2. Mmmm love your food and your blot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant blog...lol that's auto correct for you ;)

      Delete
    2. I can't wait to be able to cook for you and Mike. You two will always have a special place in my heart. Your wedding picture is proudly displayed in my den. Another blessing of social networking. My life is richer because you and Mike are in it. Now that you have a new refrigerator, time to start cooking! ღ

      Delete
    3. We love you Beth!!! I actually love cooking and food. I was depressed for a while, I was still grieving from my father's death but I actually feel like I have the life back in me now. I feel motivated to do the things I love again and cooking is actually one of them. Mike misses my cooking too. So I can't wait to try some of your recipes. Xoxoxo

      Delete
  3. Wow, this dish looks sooo good. I can't wait to try it. You are an amazing chef! A five star restaurant has nothing on you!
    Thanks for sharing! XOXO

    ReplyDelete