Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Candied Walnuts

How is it possible today is the last day of February?  Is it me or has this year been flying by?  Anyway ... Happy Leap Year Day!   Here in Long Island the weather is cold and raining ~ an all around nasty weather day.  Perfect to stay home and cook.

The other day I received some wonderful news.  My friends daughter got engaged to the love of her life.  Mazel~tov to Courtney and her fiance Vinal and to the parents of the bride, Alona and David and the whole mishpuchah.  I am so happy for all of you.  Let the fun begin!

I haven't been doing much cooking these days ~ not because I haven't wanted to.  When my muscle spasms get out of control, cooking just doesn't happen.  Thanks to my twitter friends for always checking in to see how I am and wanting to know when I'm getting back in the kitchen.  You guys make me laugh and motivate me. Please know how much I appreciate all the love you send my way.  Today though, I beat it out.  I was in the kitchen before my spasms got out of hand.  Woohoo!

I always keep raw nuts in the refrigerator.  Today I cooked up some candied walnuts.  They are great to serve to your company or to top off your favorite salad with.  So much easier than buying them prepared in the store.  The same recipe can be used with pecans.

                          Candied Walnuts

ingredients:
2 cups of raw walnuts
1/3 cup of granulated sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 egg white plus 1 tablespoon of warm water

directions:
Preheat your oven at 350 degrees.  Line your baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.  In a bowl combine sugars and salt and set aside.  If you are a fan of cinnamon, add 1/2 teaspoon to the mixture.  If you want to give the nuts a kick, add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, depending on how much of a kick you want. <wink>  Also, if you like really sweet nuts, add more granulated sugar.
In another bowl whisk an egg white until it's frothy, add 1 tablespoon of warm water and whisk together.
Add your walnuts and sugar mixture to the egg whites and mix together well.
Spread the walnuts in an even layer on the baking sheet and place in the oven.
Bake 20 minutes or until crisp and caramelized.  Stir half way thru.  Don't worry, some might stick to the parchment paper.  Let the nuts cool so you don't burn your fingers.   Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator.

The greatest gift is not found in a store, but in the hearts of true friends.


Enjoy and Bon Appetit!


** the secret ingredient is lots of love ღ






1 comment:

  1. Yum! That is real close to how I do pecans...they are a special treat!!!

    ReplyDelete