Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Vegetable Bean Soup

Even though today is 50 degrees and beautiful, the forecast calls for a little snow and cold weather for the remainder of the week.   I don't know about you, but when I hear cold weather I immediately think of soup. 

                        Vegetable Bean Soup

ingedients:
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
snap beans, diced
carrots, diced
celery, diced
chick peas
cannellini beans
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 14 ounce can diced or stewed tomatoes
1 cup red cabbage, chopped
italian parsley
kosher salt and pepper
olive oil
                                









directions:
In a dutch oven pour a tablespoon or two of good olive oil ~ add your onions and garlic and saute until tender ~ but not browned.  Add all your vegetables and sweat for about 5 minutes or so. 
Add 3-4 cups of water (you could also substitue vegetable or chicken stock), beans, tomatoes and tomato paste. 

 Mix everything together ~ add your parsley and season with salt and pepper.
Cover and simmer on low for 2 hours.  Serve with a piece of crusted bread.

Everyone likes different vegetables.  Choose the ones you and your family enjoy.  That's the fun part of cooking ~ there are no rules!  Be creative and have fun with it.  I love herbs so I use a ton of italian parsley.  If I had spinach or any other green in the house, I would have included it.  Today I used what was in my vegetable bin and pantry.  If you are a fan of parmesan cheese, use your vegetable peeler and top your bowl of soup with a few strips. 



Enjoy and Bon Appetit!


** the secret ingredient is lots of love ღ



                  









1 comment: