Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Beef Stew My Way

Beef Stew is classic comfort food that is perfect for those cold winter nights.  It's a warm, hearty one pot wonder filled with good for you vegetables and protein.

I remember growing up how my mother would always serve pot roast and beef stew during the winter months.  She was a very good cook who put tons of love into whatever she prepared.  I can still picture her standing over stove, wearing her apron, cooking up a storm.  My father and I were very lucky to benefit from her many hours in the kitchen.  There are so many of her terrific recipes I wish I had today.

                         Beef Stew My Way


ingredients:
chuck meat for stew
1 bottle of red wine (merlot, chianti or whatever your preference)
4 tablespoons good olive oil
3 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 onion, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
3 stalks celery, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 bunch of italian parsley, chopped
snap beans (or green beans, halved)
3 yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 14 ounce cans of stewed tomatoes
3-4 cups beef broth (i use kitchen basics)
1/2 can tomato paste
flour
kosher salt and pepper









directions:
Pat meat dry.  In a dutch oven heat olive oil over medium heat.  Season meat on all sides with salt and pepper and dredge in flour.  Shake off the excess flour and add to the pan, uncovered.


Brown meat on all sides (about 8-10 minutes) and transfer to a plate.  Repeat process with remaining meat.
Add the onion, celery, carrots, potatoes, garlic, snap beans and cook for 3-5 minutes, frequently stirring.
Pour wine, beef stock, tomatoes and tomato paste into the pan while scraping up the brown bits of deliciousness from the bottom with a wooden spoon.

Return meat to the pan and add the parsley.  Season to taste.


Bring to a boil. Cover pan and simmer for 4 hours or until meat is tender.


Skim off any oil from the top, check seasoning and you're done!
The wonderful part of this dish is you can prepare it in advance.  In fact, I find it tastes even better the next day.  The sauce thickens up a little and all the flavors marry together.  The meat melts in your mouth and the vegetables are perfectly tender.  It's all about cooking with ingredients you enjoy.  Serve with a loaf of crusty bread to soak up the delicious sauce and you're good to go.

* always cook with a wine you would drink
Enjoy and Bon Appetit!


** the secret ingredient is lots of love ღ

5 comments:

  1. I think I am going to have to make it this weekend! Do you use the whole bottle of wine? How many pounds of chuck?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use the whole bottle of wine but you can start with less, if you prefer. It was one package of meat ~ somewhere around a pound and a half.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for another amazing recipe. I am going to try this one tomorrow! We love beef stew and it looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really close to how I do my family favorite stew (for obvious reasons not the garlic...lol) But want to say that I put my stew pot in the oven at 400 for about and hour and a half and everything turns out sooooo tender and yummy. I do this as I don't usually have the time to keep an on it. OH and I usually put some parsnips in also. Love that stews in general you can use anything in the fridge! Great job Beth as ALWAYS!!! Proud to call you my FRIEND!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's the great part of cooking and sharing recipes. You can take one dish and change it up so many ways. I might have to try it your way next time. Thanks for sharing, Pam. Love you too my friend. :) ღ

    ReplyDelete