Thursday, January 26, 2012

Minestrone

Woke up this morning to a rainy dreary weather day.  I don't know about you, but when it's cold and nasty weather, I want comfort food, and today the soupe du jour is Minestrone.

What I love about Minestrone is you add or delete whatever you like or dislike.  My recipe includes an onion, yukon gold potato, celery (tops included), carrots, zucchini, diced tomatoes, chick peas, black beans and cannellini beans. You could always add  pasta and meat if that's your preference.  Le Creuset Dutch Oven is my pot of choice.

My problem is I cook enough for an army ~ if you can call that a problem. That's always been an issue for me.  The funny thing about cooking is you add a little of this and a little of that and before you know it, you have a huge pot of soup.  As much as I love the cooking, I've never been one for leftovers.  After a day or two, I'm over it and ready for something new. Lucky for me, my dinner date  will  be going home with a care package.        



ingredients:
2 tbs. olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 celery stalks (with tops), diced
1 zucchini, diced
1 (14 ounce) can of diced tomatoes
1 yukon gold potato, peeled and diced
1 red/orange pepper, seeded and diced
1 bunch of italian parsley, coarsely chopped
1 (14 ounce) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14 ounce) can of chick peas, rinsed and drained
1 (14 ounce) can of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
2 tbs. tomato paste
kosher salt and pepper
4-6 cups of water or stock (depending on your pot size)

directions:
Heat olive oil in your dutch oven. On medium heat add your onion. Cook until translucent without browning. Add garlic and all your veggies. Stir together and add water (or stock) tomato paste, diced tomatoes, beans, salt and pepper and chopped parsley. Simmer for 2 hours. Check seasoning. Serve with slice of toasted bread and fresh parmesan cheese, if desired.

** the secret ingredient is lots of love





5 comments:

  1. Yes the best is made with lots of love! Sounds yummy. Meatballs on the menu at our house tonight. Enjoy your company.

    ReplyDelete
  2. gonna try this minus the celery, do you think that would be okay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can add or delete any of the ingredients ~ just make sure to include the love. Please let me know how it comes out. Bon appetit! ღ

      Delete
  3. gonna make it for dinner Monday, sounds so yummy

    ReplyDelete