Friday, January 27, 2012

Eggplant Frenzy ღ

I love to create a good dish with what i have in the refrigerator and pantry ~ especially since it's raining and disgusting ~ there is no way I would head out to the market in this weather.  I'm so excited to share this recipe with you as it came out delicious!

I'm a fan of eggplant, depending on how it's prepared.  Today I used a baby eggplant ~ which I prefer because it has less seeds.  I don't know about you, but I find the seeds sometimes make my mouth itch.  I chopped and prepared all the ingredients ~ eggplant, red, yellow and orange peppers, onion, garlic, juiced a lemon and was ready to begin cooking.




What I love most about this dish is it can be served cold as an appetizer with chips or would be a wonderful side for any entree.  If you're a vegetarian, it's a great dinner with a side salad.  The fun part of cooking is any ingredient can be substituted or omitted.

                   Eggplant Frenzy Friday


ingredients:
1 baby eggplant, cubed
4 tbs. olive oil
1 small red pepper, cored and diced
1 small orange pepper, cored and diced
1 small yellow pepper, cored and diced
1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
2 tbs. fresh lemon juice
5 green olives, chopped
kosher salt and pepper

directions:
In a large skillet over medium heat add  2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add cubed eggplant and saute constantly stirring until golden brown, about 5 minutes or so. Remove eggplant to a plate.  Add the remaining olive oil with onions and garlic and saute until tender and slightly golden.  Add your peppers and saute until tender, constantly stirring.  Add tomatoes, juices and all, and cook for about 5 minutes until the mixture thickens.

Add the eggplant and olives and simmer for about 5 minutes.  Add lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste. 
Enjoy hot or cold. Bon Appetit!


** the secret ingredient is lots of love




2 comments:

  1. Just found you! I must have been living under a rock. The blog looks fantastic and I am looking forward to all your kitchen wisdome and suggestions. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Bobbi. Means a lot coming from you. Enjoy and Bon appetit. ღ

      Delete